Falls and slips
Fear of falling is a concern for many older people
but falls are not an inevitable part of aging.
Risk of falls are increased by certain health and age-related
changes, such as:
- Use of certain medications. Make sure your doctor reviews your
- Loss of flexibility and fitness. Keep active! Especially with
strength and balance training.
- Poor eyesight. Free eyesight checks may be available
Home hazards can add to the risks. Look out for:
- Cluttered floors and stairs
- Lack of hand and grab rails on the stairs and in bathrooms
- Poor lighting
- Loose rugs and other trip hazards
- Slippery floors
Bristol Care and Repair Handy Person’s Scheme
is available to help older people reduce the risk of a fall in
For more information about the scheme please contact: Dawn Kelly
on 0117 954 2222.
If you have fallen or are worried about falling then
please see your doctor.